Ever connection between bloody noses and AVMs?

I am not someone who regularly at all has bloody noses. Yet for the last two weeks I keep having bloody noses. Now it is winter in Maine; people speak of the impact of heat. However, I have lived in heated houses for most of my life in New England. So, I have been wondering whether any connection exists between AVM (bleeds) and nose bleeds.

Another part of me thinks I am just being paranoid.

Welcome feedback. Thanks.

It depends on where your AVM is, but a facial AVM or one near the relevant veins is probably connected. For example, see Nikki Lilly’s vlog story that I posted a link to the other day.

My grandfather had migraines, significant nosebleeds and eventually mental deficits. I’m convinced he had an AVM but was never diagnosed 100 years ago.

Hi Elizabeth,
Interesting question you pose regarding nose bleeds. I have had similar thoughts about a possible connection, the reason I think this,is as follows.
I had a brain haemorrhage in 2012 as a result of an (undiscovered at the time) , AVM in my brain(lower back left).
Interestingly 2 days before my brain haemorrhage I experienced quite a severe nose bleed, and after 2 hours of it not stopping, I ended up in A&E. not only my nose, but the bleeding was also coming out of my eyes, by the tear ducts.
Eventually the nose bleed stopped, and after being reviewed by the A&E doctor I was sent home, with no real explanation as to why these unusual symptoms had occurred.
As a background to this, all my life I had suffered with nose bleeds, about 4-8 regularly each year. I was sent to children’s doctors and adult doctors all my life, but no one ever carried out a brain scan throughout that time.

Now to current day, having had the. Hemorrhage 4cyears ago, I have not had 1 nose bleed since my brain injury.
I have asked neurosurgeons over the last 4 years if there is a potential connection between nose bleeds and AVMs but all advisors state they cannot see a connection.
For me, the facts speak for themselves.

If you are suspicious of a connection, or know friends who have regular nose bleeds, I would definitely recommend getting a head scan done to rule out this risk.
Hope this helps

Kind regards

Hiya smilerdi,
After reading your post and the fact that doctors don’t believe their is a link between your nose bleeds and avm’s it may or may not be of relevance but their is a link between hht and nose bleeds, and from my understanding part of hht is having malformations such as Avms.check out hht to get a better understanding of what I’m on about. It is a hereditary condition with the main symptom being nose bleeds. I am just in the process of asking my consultant to test me for it after long discussions with my children. Maybe irrelevant to you but just a thought.
Amanda xx

1 Like

Hi Amanda
I’m thrilled to have received your email. How amazing you have enlightened me with this helpful information. I have googled HHT and it mirrors my experience exactly, and seems to provide a more filling diagnosis.
I can’t tell you how grateful I am to start to read more about my condition.
Thank you for sharing this .
Kind regards
Smilerdi

No worries smilerdi, I’m glad I could be of help😀
Amanda xx