DVLA Question

I was diagnosed with an AVM and partial seizures at the end of June and had to stop driving immediately. My last episode of struggling with my speech was the end of March, does anyone know whether the one year is counted from my last episode, from my diagnosis or when the DVLA has processed my B1 form? Thanks

Don’t know but I did find them easy to talk to on the phone when I had cause to try to work out what I could or couldn’t do.

1 Like

Thanks Richard, perhaps I should call DVLA tomorow to clarify. Under the consultant’s advice at the end of June, I have not driven since and still waiting for DVLA to confirm my status. :smiley:

It’s is different everywhere. Mine was 6 months from diagnosis but I know it varies from state to state here. A call will probably get you the correct information.

1 Like

My case was different, I’d say, but DVLA never actually banned me. The consultant initially told me i was fine to drive (but I stayed off driving voluntarily). Post op, he told me “must not drive and must tell DVLA”, so I declared myself to DVLA.

Subsequent to that, I got my “all clear” angiogram and the doc changed his vote to “ok to drive” again. DVLA had written to consultant and GP meanwhile. Once I’d seen my GP, she was ok for me to drive, consultant was ok, too and i decided to ring DVLA to ask how the process worked. They advised that they had never revoked my ability to drive, so it was up to my doc. “If your doctor says its ok, it is ok by us” or something to that end.

But it was an easy conversation with them. Not difficult or scary or too long sitting in a queue. I was pleasantly surprised.

Good luck!

Richard

Thanks Kell, the consultant mentioned one year, I was too upset at that time to ask further. I’ll call the DVLA tomorow to find out more. I’ve also got a couple of appointments with my consultants coming up. I’m having to take 2 buses to get to work at the moment, can’t wait to be driving again. :smiley:

Thanks Richard, I have never lost consciousness, just difficulty with my speech for between 5-20 minutes, the consultant belives they are partial seizures and to stop driving immediately.

It will get better. I also left doctors office in tears and had to find rides to work and home. Good luck!

Thanks Kell. It gets worse, had argument with my partner earlier and he told me not to play the AVM card, it’s really not easy! :cry:

I think it is just as difficult on our partners as it is on us. Sometimes more difficult for us; sometimes more difficult for them.

Just spoken to DVLA, apparently it’s a 12 months ban from my last episode and that I may apply for my license back 2 months before. :smiley:

2 Likes