DAVF Retina Detachment

Hi there

I was diagnosed with a DVAF of the sigmoid sinus area… Not treated as I am still awaiting an Angiogram (NHS UK)
1.5 years later I am being rushed through an emergency for possible detached retina… same side…
Could there be a correlation between this due to blood flow?
Really scared, really worried :frowning2:
Any one know anything?

Hi.

I think there can be a connection, but that does not mean they are connected.

Mine is a DAVF or DAVM in my right occipital – rather a long way from my eye, though the occipital is the lobe that processes sight. I also had a query diagnosis of macular drusen last January that my eye doctor eventually decided in September was not drusen and not linked to my AVM. However, there are certainly some DAVMs that present issues with one’s sight. Eg dural carotid cavernous sinus, see here.

The guy I saw in September, despite never coming across an AVM before (he asked me if he could have a listen to my bruit / pulsatile tinnitus, and I was glad to share it with him) was confident my symptoms were not connected and he exuded appropriate confidence.

Good luck!

Richard

What RICHARD said. ANYTHING is possible. Remember A DAVF can transfer high-pressure arterial blood into veins or venous sinuses that normally carry low-pressure, deoxygenated blood returning to the heart from the brain. The most common type of retinal detachment is often due to a tear or hole in the retina. Eye fluid may leak through this opening. This causes the retina to separate from the underlying tissues, much like a bubble under wallpaper. Diabetes is next. In any event the cause is LOW blood flow. A DAVF is normally high blood low The dura is a long ways from the back of the retina.

The Critical thing here is the found and its getting taken care of. A change in the DAVF would most likley show up in different ways not in a sudden event like this

TJ

Thank you so much for replies… So grateful to have someone to talk to… Its a scary thing.

So I headed off to A& E eye clinic, to be examined and told I had no sign of retina detachment or tear. However due to long term problems with left eye (progressive blurriness for 1.5 years,flashing lights, grey patch of vision) I am being referred for more tests…
I obviously need to get to the bottom of this, but I must admit I’m sick of being ‘sick’. Coeliac disease, followed by DAVF, followed by Heart Monitoring… followed by Graves disease last year… and now this! All in 4 years! Ugh!
Thanks again for the replies…Keep it crossed for me :slight_smile:

I’m sure these things are like buses and travel in threes. I had three things going on last year.

It’s great to know the detached retina was just a scare.

Fingers and toes all crossed! Best wishes,

Richard