Diplopia (Double Vision)

Les,

I agree. My journey so far has been a warning, I think.

The more difficult times so far, I’ve tried to take positive thoughts from the less positive times. The easiest example would be walking to work / the bus stop in winter and early spring. I celebrated that I saw more of the spring growing up round me because I was not in a car

… but it was cold!

After my surgery I was left with some eye muscle paralysis and double vision. The eye pointed straight at my nose. Had surgery to move it out to a more normal appearance but it didn’t help the double vision. I had a set of prism glasses made but I don’t like to wear them. They make this stuff in a spray can for frosting glass. I frosted the lense on a pair of cheap sunglasses to block the vision of the bad eye. Now I can drive again. Little old lady style.

I also want to mention that the affected eye doesn’t tear normally. Quite bothersome for movies or anything where you forget to blink. They make “night time ointment” over the counter in a little super glue tube. It offers relief and blurs the vision in the eye making it easier to concentrate on the other image.

Jeremy,
Thanks for the info, besides the issues with the eyes, where you impacted by other various problems, i.e. walking, balance, etc.? Well I will be seeing my eye Doctor at the end of this month, that should be interesting

Thaks
Les

Yes. Very poor balance as I lost equilibrium from one ear. Left side, I lost fast twitch muscle movement. I was in a wheelchair. Now I mostly use a rolling walker.

Jeremy, thanks for the response. As I said, I have poor balance. Interest in that my hearing things on my left side is bad. I hate the sounds my left ear creates, the buzzing, chainsaw running, and all the other sounds. Interesting though if I’m listening to music or the TV I do not hear those other sounds so much.
Les

Left side as well. Reduced hearing for example when my right ears is on the pillow I can’t hear the shower running. I occasionally get a high pitched tone similar to hearing tests when I was a child. About the same duration. I imagine a more severe case. Has it ever woken you up at night?

I had it for about 2 months and it went away when the brain swelling went down. I wasn’t able to drive. I was still on steroids at the time also

I’m blessed to be alive. Let alone driving my own vehicle. Going to get a new car soon.

Its a good way to look at it, I agree!

Excellet. Yes we are blessed to be alive. With life, each day is different with new challenges and new accomplishments. I look forward to getting better and trying to do things I haven’t done in a very long time.
Les

I totally agree. Excellent way to pharse it.
Les

It’s quite a thing when you get to do something you really shouldn’t be able to for whatever reason

I agree. I was told by my doc I was OK to drive about 4 weeks ago. I rang the driver licencing authority and they said it was up to my doc, not them. All of a sudden, it was like being 17 again and past my test. Incredible. But very transitory. It feels like it could be taken away again in a moment.

Just take it slow and be careful