Diplopia (Double Vision)

As a result of my AVM brain bleed and stroke I have experienced many changes that have affected the way I must go about my everyday life, none more bothersome than the diplopia. So I guess the question is how many AVM survors have experienced diplopia and how has it affected your everyday life?

Hi LESR, I myself have not had issues after my surgeries related to my AVM, But I did a search in the hope that it helps you Here . Thanks.

Martin

1 Like

Thanks! I was just inquiring to what other people may have experienced it’s an amazing thing in how an AVM can affect so many people in so many different ways.
Les

Les,

I’ve been lucky so far. I had some interesting visual effects after my embolization and after my angiogram, which I assume are related to some irritation of my occipital lobe. I had a few occasions on which a teardrop shaped blur would appear in my sight, grow to become a “C” shape with jagged teeth, then fade away. The effect was occasional for 3 weeks post embo and 1 week post angio.

I know @Cookster had hemianopia for some time but thankfully has recently managed to recover sufficient visual field recently to be allowed to drive. As you say, we have such diverse issues, depending on exactly where our AVM is having an effect.

Cheers,

Richard

Richard,
Thanks for your response. I guess what I was trying to say was how Diplopia (double vision) literally affects you. I could go and on about this. But in reality, I’ve found that diplopia is actually a fairly common ailment claused by many different factors. However, how react to these challenges yourselves is entirely up up to you.
Sincerely,
Les Roberts
? But forever info 00one5

A lot depends on your drive and resources.

You are so correct. Because of this Diplopia I am not allowed to drive. And waiting your for your ride causes worry. Its more than a learning curve.

I’ve been there. I was not allowed to drive, or didn’t feel safe to drive, for 8 months. For the moment, I have been allowed to drive again. But it seems precarious: I feel as though it is temporary and could be taken away very quickly again one day.

I mean your personal drive to succeed and recover what was taken.

I’m scared too. I waited seven years for this.

If we can help by talking about whatever scares you, talk. We could break out into a new thread, rather than invade Les’s enquiry on diplopia.

Richard

.Basically, I’m driven to succeed, but it’s rough having to rely on others when you need to go somewhere

Basically, I’m driven to succeed, but it’s rough having to rely on others when you need to go somewhere, so I just keep working to succeed.

Good idea. This is unrelated. But the first time I’ve told anyone. It seemed like a great opportunity

It’s almost as if we don’t deserve to drive after what happened

I understand and fear my rights could be taken too!!

Basically, I’m driven to succeed, but it’s rough having to rely on others when you need to go somewhere

I agree, however I don’t know how I would react if I hurt or killed someone. I truly am learning the value patience.

Guys,

This is good conversation.

I agree with Les. You have to feel safe to drive. My own “standard” is that if I don’t feel safe enough to drive with my own son in the front seat, I shouldn’t be driving.

It is an interesting exercise in patience, though I have realised some very strong friends I never thought I would have who have remarkably and consistently helped me out. I tried telling them that it could go on forever but they carried on. I disliked relying on them, and I have to say modern mobile mapping and navigation tools are brilliant at making journeys work in Leicestershire and the Midlands of the UK. It takes a long time to get to places but I could be independent.

Cookster, I think I need you to explain further. Why do you feel we don’t deserve to drive? It’s an interesting view. I do understand the fear of it all evaporating again, though, especially if you are not in a place where you can travel so well.

Richard

. I’m learning so much everday dealing with the fustrations of having had an AVM Brain Bleed. As I said Dipolia is the one I am continuously frustrated with. Saying eyesight is important is truly an understatement. But in retrospect, I didn’t realize how much I I had until I lost so much. It truly has made me so much a humbler person and again it has taught not to give up.
Sincerely, Les