Craniotomy and sport

Hi guys,
I had an avm rupture in may 2015 and subsequent surgery. I have had a recent seizure whilst driving in 2016 (no longer driving).

Being followed up by neurologist who now is happy for me to drive once the dvla reissue the licence but I have to continue AED.

My is regarding contact sports. I had a front right temporal bleed and the cranium does feel a weak at the operation site. Being a keen boxer (very amateur albeit) anyone know if it will get stronger over time ?

Okay I’m not a doctor but anyone recovering from brain surgery probably shouldn’t be involved in contact sports. my 2 cents:slight_smile:

Thank you very much rob.

I’m only querying as my dr said I can “lead a normal life” which is quite ambiguous to be fair. I do recall however that there have been some boxers who have had brain surgery and returned to the ring

I got you, and I studied martial arts for more than 20 years. But I can’t think think of any scenario outside of a real life self-defense situation that I would risk anyone hitting me in the head. Just ask your doctor specifically if it’s okay to box.

Cheers mate, sorry for the late reply. Just been a bit busy with a few things and overlooked your message.

My neurologist said no sport is out of the question even when asked about this but I feel I’m a long way away from getting there.

I’m going to start with basic gym work first and see how I get along.