Confused with avm terminology

What does 3℅ in 3 years for a bleed mean? I’m assuming it’s low risk? I can’t seem to comprehend all the things I’m being told. My head is spinning right now.

Can you give us a little more information? Are you talking about a 3 percent chance of rupture?

Yes I am

How old are you? Are you asymptomatic? That number(3-5%) is something I think about a lot. I mean 3 percent is not high. If I like to drive fast what’s the percent/probability I will have an car accident because of my behavior? They don’t get into a discussion about that.

I am 51years old and I’ve had one seizure but have been on medication for that and they have now found an aneurysm. They talked about craniotomy.

3℅ in 3yrs, sounds like 1℅ chance a yr,. Clarify with your doctor, I was told I was born with mine with a 2℅ chance a yr since birth, so my surgery at 25 yrs old, I was 50/50 with 100℅ chance at 50,

This has been very helpful. I also had mine at birth so I need to weigh out my options.

Take your time and follow your heart, please keep us posted,

I was also told 2% per year; had an avm rupture at 51 so I guess it was my time

Mike, thanks for reply,. First person I’ve met my age, they told me
without surgery I would be you, 100℅ chance at 50, did you know about AVM
all this time?? When and how did you discover it??

I had no idea I had an avm until it ruptured.
I wish I knew as it could have prevented a lot of brain damage if I could have had surgery to remove it before the rupture…not after…:slight_smile:

Nice to hear this Mike . I’m starting to think prevention of something really bad happening may be the way to go.

Surgery has its risks but the rupture almost killed me so I would not take that chance.

Wow Mike, that’s a hard call, I didn’t know till 25 and had surgery,
it’s been a real challenge, knowing now what I didn’t know when, Im not
sure if I would have done it, best of luck to you my friend, take care,

It is a hard call and each situation is different for everybody.
my rupture caused homonymous hemianopsia, left dide paralysis and damage to my parietal lobe which causes sensory issues.
hindsight is 20/20 for all of us; personally I would have risked the surgery and dealt with some deficits rather than dealing with the multitude I have due to an uncontrolled rupture and two subsequent craniotomies to relieve the pressure and remove the AVM.

Best of luck in your journey as all of us have issues we need to overcome. it’s just nice that we have a site like this that we can get support from one another.

Mike, very well said my friend, on that note I would have to agree with you, it’s better to know and try to correct it, verses it just happening, I was always scared of that thought, but you never knew so, did you have any clue?? any issues up to that point?? I wasn’t really surprised when I found out cus I had always had headache issues growing up, I just thought it was from playing sports and getting hit, never could figure out why aspirin didn’t work?? lol

no big clue that I would have gone to the doctor for. I would get “tension” headaches that I attributed to work stress but nothing like a migraine or other symptoms.

Thanks for reply Mike,. Hope I’m not being to nosey, be strong and carry
on!!

With this forum I don’t think there’s anything such as being too nosey.
information and reassurance is what this is all about. stay strong and keep fighting!

I was feeling comfortable with the idea of surgery but talking to my neurologist today(who is not a surgeon) said there is question of whether or not the Neurosurgeon wants to do it. I will have one more test to see where the draining vein is and how high the blood flow is. Feeling like I’m back at square one.