Confused about what my AVM looks like on CT and MRI

Hey everyone! Happy New Year!I’ve been a little anxious/ excited about my appointment this month,. I’ve been having neurological issues ( seizures, memory and left side issues) since April and I’ve felt like I’ve been on a roller coaster. I’ve been treated for half a dozen things, gone to many doctors, taken all over, to finally be diagnosed with a brain AVM. But the thing is I’m looking at my MRI and CT scans and I’m confused because they don’t look like anything I see online. It’s pretty much a white line in my frontal lobe. I know I should just wait to see my neurologist to ask questions. But I’m curious what you all know/ think about what unruptured brain AVMs look like. I’m looking at it and thinking how could something that looks so small and insignificant cause so much damage?

I wish I would have thought to get mine. I have read the report over and over and every time I find something new. I suppose just let it to the pros to explain it to you. Good luck!

1 Like

On my MRI I just see a “void” where the bleed was and where my AVM is located. I have a copy of my angio and that is where I can see the vessels and the snarl. I wasn’t diagnosed with and AVM until the emergency angio. The CT told them I had a bleed, the MRI showed where, and the angio showed why - the AVM vs aneurysm. John

2 Likes

It depends on the type of scanning that is being done by the MRI. In most of the ones I’ve seen or read about, white indicates high flow blood – i.e. arterial flow. When you see white where there isn’t an artery, you have to suspect an AVM. Perhaps the more interesting thing is the straightness of the line – it is not showing a knot of veins, a “nidus” – but then an MIR scan is a very thin slice through your head, there may be more complex views on other slices.

2 Likes

Thanks Dick, that makes more sense.