Cervical spine avm /embolization

After experiencing severe pain in my hand that shot up into my neck , and thinking it was a pinched nerve at first, i tried to tough out the pain. Then came the complete loss of feeling in my left leg first then my left arm also went numb. My right side, tho usable, was tingly “pins and needles”. By the time i good to the e.r. about a week after these symptoms started, my stomach was also numb and it felt like i had a rock climbing harness on pulling up on my groin. It was weird. At age 39, never having been admitted into any hospital for any reason, i was nervous. Long story short, after the mri i was scheduled for an angioplasty the next day. The nurse told me that the neuro surgeon would not look at me until the neurologist did the procedure. The neurologist told me that if he could fix it by embolism he would, if not i would have surgery. Six hours and two arteries later, i was done. A success. Mine went from the worst that he has ever seen possible quadriplegic, to hopefully full recovery. My question to you out there who have had just the embolism radiology treatment of a cervical spine avm and it has to do with recovery. I just want to hear your stories and insights into what i should watch out for, do’s and donts, and anything you think someone might benefit from. Thank you.

Hello Nos,

I had 6 spinal angios, 2 with embolisation (oct and dec 2012). But sure you know: After embo you have the re-check, if there are new feeders. Reason: The embo could cause new flow. Its the high arterial pressure that could make new feeders. So they did every 6 weeks after embo the check with angio. And every check they discovered new little feeders. Very little, but with the pressure they could grow again in some years. At the end the 2 laminectomies helped me to stop and kill the beast. So the history was:

1. Spinal Angio with Embo OCT 2012
  2. Reha
  3. Spinal Angio for Check - then EMBO DEC 2012
  4. Emergency surgery DEC 2012 (cause they wanted to soldering the AVM)
  5. Spinal Angio for Check: MARCH 2013 - again (damn) new little feeders
  6. June 2013: The big 6 hours surgery open spinal cord - laminectomy. Final battle - and won.

All after checks now (every year) show: No new feeders.

So the risk is, not to detect new little feeders. This only a very good neuroradiologist can see. Remembering the DEC 2012 Check. Onother doctor did the spinal angio - but when he come in the room he shouted: STOP BACK! And then they saw this little feeder…

At the end you will beat the AVM.

I had 2 spinal embolization s in 2008. I am now 64 and still working and active, but the nerve damage before the procedure is permanent. Stretching and exercise are a daily requirement for me to stay mobile. I had a follow up MRI and angiogram recently that showed no new feeders after I felt something may be happening due to increased spasticity and gait. Neurologist said they see a lot of 'masked symptoms" in older patients
that think they are getting worse but do not have new issues in the spine. Good luck with recovery.

Hi dear
Could you tell me about your recovery?
Thanks a million

I am still working as a merchant marine captain and very active. I have to stretch and exercise daily, wear orthodics in all my shoes due to having flat feet. I have mussel spasms at night when sleeping in my back and legs. Baclofen was prescribed that helped with these symptoms but the side affects were mental fogginess, irritability, and loss of motivation so I stopped taking it. Walking, exercising, and losing weight is what has kept me going. I know if I stop, I will loose my mobility. Hope this helps you.

Dear capnbo
Thanks for sharing your story. My brother had embo surgery 3 months ago because of his cervical spinal avm and now he is paralysed. i really dont know if he is going to walk again. Please pray for him and his poor family :broken_heart: