Boyfriend with AVM in left frontal lobe

Hello!

Im not really sure where to start so I guess I’ll start by giving a summary of what has happened so far…

On June 7th, 2017 my 22 year old boyfriend had a grand Mal seizure. After CT and MRI scans they discovered an AVM the size of a golf ball in his left frontal lobe. It had been resting on his motor cortex which is what caused the seizure. Prior to this, he would experience twitching on his right side and was unsure what was causing it. Because it is on his left side, it was putting pressure on his motor cortex causing the twitching and seizure on his right side.

After talking with multiple doctors, we decided that an angio-embolization and craniotomy were the best options for the size and location of the AVM. Over the past month and a half he has been taking 750mg of Keppra two times a day, avoiding alcohol, caffeine, and driving. About 3 weeks ago we got an appointment scheduled with Dr. Michael Lawton at the Barrows institute in Phoenix.

Monday, July 17th was the angio-embolization and Tuesday, July 18th was the craniotomy. After two very long days of waiting, the AVM is finally out. He has weakness on his right side, which was anticipated by the doctors but within 24 hours he is already showing signs up improvement.

Now his family and I are hoping for a speedy recovery with minimal damage.

2 Likes

Kristina,

Welcome to the site! You’ve all been through a lot but I’m sure I’ve heard of Dr Lawton, so I’m sure he is in good hands. I’ve not had a craniotomy but from what you’ve said, and based on what I’ve read from other posts, it sounds to me like he’s doing really well.

I hope others with similar experience to your boyfriend will offer their stories.

Honestly, it sounds like he’s doing really well.

Very best wishes,

Richard

1 Like