Back to work. Three years later

It’s been three years since my bleed. I’m on disability but I think maybe only you all can grasp what it’s like to sit in a chair all day and stare at your living room. So, I’m working through a vocational rehabilitation program.
For the next 10 days a work evaluation at Goodwill. Minimum Wage, but a paycheck so I’m counting it! My first day was last Friday. Exhausting. Just walking around tidying up and organizing. Hopefully, the movement is good for me and I will get stronger.
Hoping you all might have some advice or an encouraging word.

Keep grinding.

4 Likes

That’s what I keep telling myself the movement is very good for us otherwise I would just sit. The social aspect of it is very good also. Hang in there and good luck!

1 Like

Great to hear Jeremy, I have no doubt its tiring but will slowly improve. I also have no doubt that you add a great deal to the workplace in so many ways, your positive outlook certainly has to be very beneficial for workplace wellness. The intangibles are vital! Take Care, John.

3 Likes

Jeremy,

Like you said, it may be only small steps in some ways but it is great to have the determination to do stuff and that is not small. Power to you for keeping at this thing. I think you’re doing brilliantly.

Very best wishes

Richard

1 Like

Great words!

I know the difference between a male button up and a female button up lol :slight_smile:

Second day under my belt. So far, I have Greeted and Recovered (tidying up the racks). I was able to sit on my rollator a lot during greeting so I didn’t need breaks today. Still wondering how it’s going to be towards the end of the week. We’ll see…

2 Likes

Good for you Jeremy. That’s really brave and I hope it all keeps going really well for you.

Lulu

1 Like

Let us know how you get on. We’re all rooting for you. Personally, I know I’m 100 times better off than you, it’s Thursday evening here and I’m absolutely knackered. I hope you take it carefully and get through work in a sustainable way for you.

Hoping for great things in little baby steps.

:crossed_fingers:

Richard

1 Like

Wish you all the best in that new step of your life. Been at home since October with my 10 years son after his 1st bleed in August 2017 and I can’t ever imagine how long it’s been for you. You are brave and capable, just eat your elephant one bite at the time !

1 Like

So, a few days in and it is as I hoped. The more I do the more I can do. So, here’s the rub. The only thing they’ve had me do is greet. And I can’t help but feel like the poster cripple. Is it my destiny to just smile and wave?

Talk to them about it. If you are confident to do other stuff, be honest about it. “I think I can do more than this… Its OK…”. Depending on the setting you’re in, you may well be educating your employer. There’s no harm in that. If they dont know what you can do, they won’t push you… and you’re less than a week in, so why would they?

I’ve no idea if this is good advice but its how I think I’d feel. The most important, actually is what you get out of it, what you show yourself you can do.

Very best of luck with it all!

Richard

2 Likes

I agree with Richard but would just give it a few days, once they get to know you better it’ll be a lot easier to have that chat. Good to hear though on how you’re feeling, thats great. Take Care, John.

2 Likes

Praying for your pesce and happiness!

I suppose you will have to be patient again. They probably don’t want you to go to fast to create any new health problems. Take it one day at the time and when you fill you can do more, try to talk to them and explain them how important is it to you. I’m sure that with a good communication, pretty much everything is possible. Good luck !

2 Likes

Hello! My husband had his avm removed in July. He’s been unable to lift anything over 10 pounds, stand more than an hour in 8 hr span, be in the sun, stress/strain, drive or work since May. He had a grand mal seizure & small bleed which sent him immediately to Neuro ICU where Drs found his avm. He had an embolization surgery first & the craniotomy July 22nd. It’s been a crazy road since May. Thankful that they were able to remove his AVM… I could easily go on & on with the emotional & physical roller coaster of all this with 2 small children… But, the topic is ‘going back to work’… His angiogram to determine if the craniotomy was successful is coming up Feb 2. He’s had a few set backs; the big one right now is the seizure meds, hand numbness/tremors & memory as he’ll be expected to go ‘back to work’ very soon. As of now, he’s fatigued alot (sleeping 10-12 hrs & usually a nap), any activity out of daily life wipes him out… David’s 35 years old & been an active, healthy guy his whole life, except for the AVM obviously :upside_down_face:. My concern is that what’s expected from him & what he can do are not going to mesh well… I do think he’ll fully recover but it’ll be awhile before he can manage a full day or half a day (without being completely spent)… I’m going to be picking up the lose ends as we transition into the next chapter of him being able to be alone, watch our kids & work again… How are you guys transitioning into ‘normal’ life after you’ve been officially discharged from your neurosurgeon? It’s very helpful reading your experiences & thoughts!

David sounds a lot like me at 8 months. Except I never had a grand mal. Everyone is different. I’m just now returning to work three years later. For me the issues slowly sorted themselves out with the sleeping being the most recent. The trick seems to be in the quality of the awake time. Taking an anti depressant helped get me out of bed and a good working of the muscles while I’m up. Push-ups etc. from your perspective “guided activities” having him make lunches, run errands with you. Doing as much of it as he feels comfortable. This’ll bring on a lot of naps but over time makes the getting out of bed easier and the periods up longer. The more you do. The more you can do. I have three boys and am forty. Some of my first solo activities were volunteering at the school book fair. I’m now a greeter at Goodwill.

1 Like

So early on aquatic therapy was a big help, but I liked the pool. CBD oil helped with the ataxia (tremors) until I could do more exercise.

1 Like

I completely understand. I decided to go back to work again to. It was a part time job and only did 2 days a week but I was like you, I needed to get out of the house. The funny thing is I went to school and got a degree in psychology. Before I went to school and while I was in school I do construction and swore I would never do it again after college. Now I’m out of college, I’m back to doing it again. That’s just the way that God works sometimes.

Jesus is good all the time, and all the time, Jesus is good

1 Like

Just returned back to work 6 days ago ,struggling hardcore bro,hang in ,Holdfast

1 Like

Jeremy,

Good for you! Just keep moving forward. I think its very important to be active and not sit around and vegetate. So, try not to worry about the wages. You are doing wonders for your healing process. I had my AVM bleed in 1998. It’s a marathon, not a sprint. Take heart!

Adam

2 Likes