Avm after affects of Stereotactic radiosurgery (SRS)

Hi my name is Barbara, I am 65 years old, In October 2015,I had a right frontal temporal intercerebral haemorrhage which caused a stroke , I also have 2 Bilateral MCA aneurysms 6mm. I suffered balance problems and lower left peripheral sight loss but these have improved massively. The appointments for MRI, Angiograms etc have been months apart and very long waits for results. The neuro surgeon and team have decided the safest treatment is Stereotactic radiosurgery (SRS) at Sheffield for the AVM and monitoring the aneurysms. I have an appointment at Sheffield 22nd March and have been trying to compile questions to ask, I was told the risks are low; possible brain swelling which will be treated with steroids and headaches. As it gets nearer and I have tried to find info, it seems the risks are more than said also could put pressure on the aneurysms, Sorry such an essay but would be grateful for anyone who has had the same with experience of after affects

1 Like

Barbara,

Welcome to the site! I agree that I am reading stories of SRS carrying more risk than I thought, though I have no direct experience myself.

I recently gathered a lot of the gamma knife and other SRS stories together under some sub-categories in the Symptoms and Treatment category. As well as any responses you get from current members, I hope you’ll find some resources there.

I’m sure it is still a very good option to follow but will lead on to just ascertaining with your radiologist what they plan to do and what the specific risks are for where your SRS is focussed.

Very best wishes,

Richard

1 Like

Hi, Barbara: I had a gamma knife procedure November 10th, 2016. I have a left frontal lobe, 2.5 cm AVM, which has not bled; however, I developed complex partial seizures (fainting, loss of awareness) in 2016. I was placed on anti seizure medications. Like you, I am in my senior years…66, to be exact. The neurologist and neurosurgeon recommended the gamma knife as a possible prevention from future strokes. Since the gamma knife procedure, I have felt quite well. I did have one fainting episode, and one loss of awareness episode after the procedure, but other than that, I have not experienced any side effects. I must say that I am now taking 2 seizure medications, however. My situation is different that yours, since I have not bled. I am glad I went through with the procedure. My neurosurgeon was very experienced treating AVMs using the SRS. Best of luck to you. My heart is with you.

I had cyberknife radiosurgery and about 7 months after i started having vision problems and brain swelling so they had to keep me on the steroids for way longer than intended.I am still dealing with it 10 months out, the swelling has gone down slightly.

Thank you for your input Richard, Nebula and Amcoffey :slight_smile:

Well I had the treatment on the 22nd may, The Sheffield Gamma team are first class and everything went much better than I expected, so far no side effects and I am feeling well. thank you all for your support and experiences x

1 Like

Barbara,

FANTASTIC! Great to hear that! Have they given you a schedule to go back for a check up on progress? 6m? A year? I hope it all continues to go the right way!

It’s a pleasure to be here for people.

Best wishes,

Richard

Hello new here but wanted to say my daughter had SRS at Royal hallamshire in 1992 age 10year old after a brain haemorrhage in 1991 that was diagnosed as an AVM. She is now 43years old. The haemorrhage caused weakness to her left side similar to a stroke but due to her young age she remained usage to about 90%. It took 2 years after receiving the radiation when her scan showed the AVM was now negligible to the eye so a good result. She did get optical nerve damage and had to wear glasses but no other follow-ups were ever done. Bearing in mind it was 31 years ago. At the time we were just so relieved she wasn’t in any further danger of a bleed.Now i worry if she has any radiation side effects

Hi Barb, I’m glad you’re doing okay. I had a similar location AVM bleed and 2 craniotomies when I was 14. (I’m 63) I’ve suffered from seizures ever since, probably due to the scar tissue. Best wishes, Greg