Angiograms

Hi can I ask of anyone’s experiences after an Angiogram? I had a Angiogram in Aug 2016 and I remember a couple of days after having it , getting these sort of white shapes at the side of my eye, it lasted Aprox 15-20 mins and then went and then a day or so later it happened in the other eye. I can’t describe what I experienced anymore than that as it was along time ago, but wondered if anyone had experienced seeing anything in there eyes days after having Angiogram, or any unusual experiences in the eye area.?

Maxine,

I had some “visual disturbances” after my embolization (which necessitated an angiogram) and after my subsequent angiogram. The effects I saw were like a scintillating scotoma or a negative scotoma (a type of visual migraine aura). So I think it can be normal to have such temporary effects.

See here:

http://www.avmsurvivors.org/t/my-update-dural-avf-embolization/16916/40

Also here:

http://www.avmsurvivors.org/t/scintillating-scotoma-visual-disturbances-post-gk/5363

Richard

Thanks for that very interesting , yes think it must of been a visual aura , I remember having one of these about 3-4 months ago aswell on my left eye.

Really interesting discussion about migraine here. I’m very interested in the link between migraine and AVM. My AVM was pulmonary and my lifelong migraines completely disappeared after the AVM was removed! The link between migraine and PAVM is quite well documented but imperfectly understood - my guess is they will find it’s related to micro-clots. There also (pretty clearly to me from being in this forum) seems to be a relationship between migraine and brain AVM, but I don’t think that is very well documented at all. I love your description of migraine aura. It’s quite fascinating isn’t it? but I’m glad I no longer have to experience it on an almost daily basis.

1 Like

Hi there @Pidgemous,

Immediatly after being wheeled out of the angiogram theatre I experienced visual disturbances differant to what I had ever had before. This time they were flashing lights in my central and far left visual field. I was told by the neuro-radiologist that preformed by angiogram that it is a reaction though. Still a freaky experience to say the least!

Corrine

Hi yes I remember talking to a vascular nurse about visual auras after Angiogram and she said some people can get them , she said sometimes the dye can affect your vessels or something

I agree it was fascinating. I couldn’t believe it when I read Sacks’ book and found pictures of what I had experienced! Scintillating scotomas are just so amazingly regular in some ways to be able to see the same weird effect as someone else.

Its great to hear from you!

Richard

I too am experiencing these awful migraines after my angio…
I looked up Scintillating scotomas an it seems that is exactly what i am experincing!!
There so scary…
I just read online a lady had these and then two weeks later she had a stroke… :tired_face:

Not good I’m due another Angiogram next week :disappointed:

Natalie,

Talk to the doc about them but mine faded after 3 weeks. Self-diagnosing by looking up articles online is a sure way to scare yourself.

Very best wishes

Richard

Oh no good luck Pidemous- i hope all goes well!!

Richard i have called the hospital to let them know about these Scintillating scotomas an they said they will discuss with my surgeon in the morning - so i am happy he will be aware… hopefully he will get me in to shut me up :joy: xx

Yes they always have to cover themselves with all the risks of a Angiogram , but probably are very rare to happen

Well done. Migraine is apparently the third most common disease in the world, so millions of people have had migraines for thousands of years and a good proportion of them have aura associated with their migraine. So don’t worry about it. Worth getting checked out but not worth sleeping badly for!

Richard

1 Like

No juat bizarre that i havent experinced one before the angio.

Are you guys on the UK AVM FB group?

I’ve just joined the AVM friends UK group .

On FB

I got floaters in Jan 2017 , I’m so certain the Angiogram I had back in Aug 16 caused them to come prematurely. Don’t people normally get them nearer there 60’s ? I was 45 when I got them , im 46 now

Brilliant, there is so much support on there! Welcome to the group :slight_smile:

Yes this one
https://m.facebook.com/groups/1548187698739529