After healing from Gamma Knife, loss of memory, focus and possibly IQ

Hello, I had my AVM eruption in my left side brain about 3 years ago at the age of 19. I had gamma knife radiation in order to take care of it. Luckily for me I only seemed to perminantley I wanted to know if anyone else, after healing or procedure, have had issues with concentrating, memory, either short or long term, or have felt, just dumber. I feel like my IQ has gone down significantly, that I cannot think and process or level that I previously could closer to when I had the AVM.

Hi Baita
I totally get what you mean, my concentration is fine, but god I have noticed how my memory has got so bad. I’m always forgetting things and long term, I find it hard to recall memories of when my children were young. I thought age may of had something to do with it, I’m not exactly old at 39 (he he). I have also noticed that my processing and understanding isn’t the same as it used to be. I used to think I was quite intelligent but now I struggle to find the right word to use making me feel dumb compared to other colleagues. Like others have said it’s a matter of getting used to the new you, and maybe once we stop stressing over our "new me"the memory may progress where we are not stressing as I’m sure it may play a part in it as well !!
All the best Amanda xx

I had the same problems after my AVM hemorrhage. Over time it has got better but for me, something’s have not. Hopefully over time it will get for you and me.

Hi Baita: I read your post 4 or 5 times before I could make myself reply because I had been trying to ignore the same symptoms you so accurately describe. My AVM ruptured in 2014 when I was 64 years old. I also had the Gamma Knife Radiation procedure. Right now, it appears the AVM is gone. My long term memory is fantastic, but my short term is no where as good. I constantly have to write notes to remind me of something I’ve already written on my calendar. My concentration is much better, but still an issue. These problems get worse when I stress over them. In the end, I’m just happy to still be here. I may not be as smart as I used to be, but I’m a hell of a lot more patient, kind and prayerful. Give yourself a break and just be the wonderful person you are now.

I have some long term memory loss that is most likely gone forever, it's just something that needs to be accepted.  I've learned that reading for about a hour a day has really increased my short term memory.  It's not quite back to normal but pretty close.  Give it a try.
1 Like